11.07.2010

I can do this

Here goes... I'm the newbie and this is my first blog post- EVER!

I remember high school P.E. and I always detested the times they made us run around the track and timed it. I didn't hate exercise. In fact, I enjoyed all the badminton, tennis, circuit weights, swimming etc., but the running- not so much. I think the main reason was that I couldn't keep up with most of the girls who would run the mile in under 8 minutes or whatever the standard was. It made me feel bad about myself, and I never got any better at it. Running just wasn't my sport. Why did it matter? I have always been secretly envious of runners- their discipline and their physique. Does anybody recall that show on MTV called, Made? In each episode was a kid who longed to experience something totally different from the kind of kid they are and they were coached/molded by an expert who could help them reach that goal. An example was a straight-A, straight-laced, hall monitor who wanted to learn hip-hop dance as well as dress the part and live the culture. If an MTV producer would've offered me the chance to be on that show, I would have asked to be "made" into a cross country runner...well, that or a drummer in an all-girl rock band.

A few years ago, while walking on a treadmill at the gym I decided to up the speed and start a little jog. I forget how long I went before I felt sick and had to stop, but it marked that beginning of this new journey. Little by little (no exaggeration) I added running to the work-out and eventually (slowly) I could run two miles without having to stop and it felt so good!! Even though I felt like I had something to brag about, I was still comparing my speed, incline and time to the runner next to me. It still wasn't good enough - lame.

This summer, I randomly decided to do my first 5k run. A co-worker was soliciting donations for the annual AIDS Walk in Long Beach, CA. She was on a team that was walking the 5k. I went to the website to make a donation to her team and then navigated over to the registration for the race. I was curious and curiosity took over. Within 4 minutes, I had decided to sign-up, and raise $250 on my own. I remember my wide-eyes as I nervously filled out the profile information and paid my fee. I thought, "Wait! Can I even do this?... It's happening!" On Saturday, June 5, I got up at 6:30 am and my husband, Jason, drove me to Long Beach for the race. At the starting line, I waited amidst long, lean men and women - people who looked strong and prepared. The insecurity set in. Suddenly, the starting gun went off and there I was, running and trying to keep up again. I won't share all the details, but I learned a lot of things about myself that morning. And I decided that I had to do that again because it felt amazing! It doesn't matter that I didn't place in the top ten females or that I had to stop to walk a few paces. I finished it!
I ran my second 5k a month later. On November 21st, Jessica, Tayler, and I are doing a 9k trail run in the Santa Monica Mountains. I now enjoy going on regular runs and lately have done a few alongside my sister, which have been so much fun! Check me out! I can do this afterall and I don't have to worry about breaking records. I'm doing it because it feels great!

thanks for reading,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment