5.19.2013

"It's supposed to be hard....

If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.  The hard...is what makes it great!"
 -Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks) A League of Their Own


Hi all!  The Humble Runners are back--this time for real.  It's been quite some time (since 2011!) and a lot has happened since the last post, so there will be a lot to talk about in the coming posts.  Since 2011, I've been doing a lot of running, had some great running partners, took a long hiatus due to injury, and became really great at Zumba and cross training in place of pounding the pavement (while I healed).  All of this, but now I have enthusiastically returned to the warm, gritty, temperamental,  and beautiful arms of running.  Here I am again-ready to share it all with you.  But for now, I am going to start fresh with the most current updates.

I've been thinking a lot about distance lately.  About how running long makes me feel powerful and how the overwhelming sense of accomplishment is unequaled by almost anything else.  Ultimately, it is running long that makes me love being a runner.  Now, I am no ultra-runner,  but I can't say that I haven't toyed with the notion of running great distances.  It would take a lot of work and be very hard, but like the Jimmy Dugan quote above, isn't that what makes it great?  How do you even get started?  Well, you take the first stride.  Plain and simple.  No one has told me that I can't run 30 miles, so who am I to back away from the challenge.  So, I signed up for the Pacific Coast Trail Run series 37K in Stinson Beach, California on October 26, 2013.  This 22 mile hilly, dirty, beautifully lush monstrosity,  with over 6000 feet total elevation gain, is going to be my catalyst.  What better way to start running LONG, than to set a goal to run long--a commitment that will be shared with other runners--OFFICIALLY.  Here, I will share my journey to Stinson Beach.  Please join me and share any ideas, advice, motivation, etc!  I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,
Tayler






No comments:

Post a Comment