12.03.2010

Sense of accomplishment? Absolutely.

Before watching Tyler complete his 50 mile ultra a month ago, I wouldn't have thought me the type of person to run a race.  I'm pretty athletic and I like to be active, but I had always thought of running as a means to exercise.  I have always been more into "recreational sports" and outdoor playtime where fitness is simply a biproduct.  Hiking, snowboarding, swimming, etc.  But after I experienced the amazingly positive vibes that saturate the atmosphere at a trail race, I knew that there must be so much more to running than the exercise.  It's a carnal experience that roots us in our nature. So, I washed the fitness factor from my mind, and hit the road for the experience.  { Sure-fitness is important, but I feel that people lose interest because it is so much of a hamster-in-wheel activity with little emotional and mental payoff.    }  Now running is a recreation.   I enjoy the ride and think little about the effects on my fitness-probably because I know that anyone who has the desire to get out and beat the trails several times a week must be in good shape.

So, all that being said, I finished my first 9K with a big, fat, smile on my face.  I had a great time and felt like a true runner.  I know that I still have much to learn, and many more K's to get under my treads, but now I know what I am capable of, and what kinds of feats I may be able to tackle in the future.  And when that time comes, I know that I will have faithful supporters.  The accomplishment one feels after completeing a race is nothing compared to the excitemnt of seeing your family and loved ones cheering you on at the finsih.  I often have wondered how runners who go it alone must feel at the finish.  What's great is that the throng of onlookers is so supportive when you make the final strides, that there are always smiles to greet you.

Tayler

No comments:

Post a Comment